[wsfii-discuss] [Office] Pre-alert situation in Argentina, please help & advice

NicoEchániz nicoechaniz at altermundi.net
Fri Nov 30 17:49:58 UTC 2012

On 11/30/2012 01:37 PM, maxigas wrote:
> From: NicoEchániz <nicoechaniz at altermundi.net>
> Subject: Re: [wsfii-discuss] [Office] Pre-alert situation in Argentina, please help & advice
> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 12:32:15 -0300
>> However, it was by chance that we had the opportunity to solve this in a
>> private agreement (one of our community network members is a technology
>> provider for this telco). We still would like to make the most out of
>> this incident, promoting a review of our national regulations regarding
>> license-free bands. We are in contact with different government offices
>> so we could try to get the ball rolling on this matter.
>>
>> It would be very helpful to asses what are the differences between our
>> regulations and those in countries where community networks have really
>> flourished.
>>
>> Is there a list where it would be more appropriate to initiate a thread
>> on this matter? WSFII-discuss? Battlemesh? Interop? some other?
>>

>> We could try to model a small set of important variables that should be
>> investigated for every case, ie. licence requirements, node
>> registration, equipment approval, fees involved if any, etc.
>>

>> Would there be any shared interest in pursuing such a task?
>
> Once again, APC has an Open Spectrum research and advocacy line, and
> they seem to be active in Argentina:
>
> http://www.apc.org/en/spectrum/country/argentina
>
> As well as many other countries:
>
> http://www.apc.org/en/projects/open-spectrum-development
>
> There is also summary of latinamerica situation:
>
> http://www.apc.org/en/spectrum/pubs/spectrum-use-latin-america-summary-report-case-stu
>
> And there are a lot of reference papers that you can use when approaching the govt.
>
> I can try to see who is the best contact person in APC for this.

maxigas, thank you for the links. I'm reading them with interest.
I've found that the debate on open spectrum in Argntina[0] makes little
direct mention of wireless community networks.

It would be interesting to look into the Open Spectrum for Development
initiative from the point of view of existing community networks.

We (AlterMundi) are very much involved in this matter and we'd like to
collaborate with APC if they should find it worthwhile.

Do you happen to know if the work APC has done with this initiative has
been taken into account by the governments of the countries involved or
if any effort has been put in this particular strategy?

Let us know if you find your contact person :)

Thanks,
NicoEchániz

[0]
http://www.apc.org/en/spectrum/news/debate-over-spectrum-argentina-%E2%80%9C-defining-push-nee