[wsfii-discuss] freifunk video now with subtitles in various languages!

Roger Baig Viñas roger.baig at guifi.net
Tue May 14 18:50:55 UTC 2013

Hi,

Congratulations for the video. I also added Catalan translation.

Just a comment regarding the terminology used. In guifi.net community we
stop using the "wireless" term when we refer to community networks for
several reasons. The main reason is that it is an unnecessary constrain;
better to stay technologically agnostic; what if we want to integrate a
new technology, let's say optical fibre? Another reason is that the less
technical the general name is the higher chances to get non-technical
people involve since the general name is the first reference for them.

All in all, I strongly recommend to simply and systematically use the
term "community network/s" since it is more inclusive, both, from the
technology used and the social point of view, and doing so we contribute
to standardise the concept.

Kind regards.

On 05/14/2013 04:50 PM, NicoEchániz wrote:
> On 05/14/2013 03:43 PM, Juergen Neumann wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Our fancy new freifunk video is now available with subtitles in various
>> languages [af, ar, de, en, fa, fr, it, sw, vi, ...]
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z12OjnPADA
>>
>> Thanks to all volunteers at the Freifunk Wireless Communtiy Weekend 2013
>> who helped make this happen! :)
>>
>> Please spread the word and join us at the International Summit for
>> Community Wirless Networks (IS4CWN) in Berlin, Oct. 2-4, 2013:
>> http://2013.wirelesssummit.org/
>>
>> Thx and greets!
>>
>> JuergeN
>>
>> PS: If you want to help us with other languages, please use this pad:
>> http://pad.freifunk.net/p/Spot2013
>
> I added the Spanish translation a few days ago in the pad; I'm looking
> forward to seeing the translation in the video :)
>
> Also we talked with UFO about the possibility of "branding" the video
> with our different communities' names and logos. Do you think that will
> be a possibility? It could be powerfull...
>

> Congratulations for the results!
>

> cheers,
> NicoEchániz

Roger Baig Viñas
Fundació Privada per a la Xarxa Oberta, Lliure i Neutral guifi.net