[wsfii-discuss] Out in the Open: This Super-Cheap Cellphone Network Brings Coverage Almost Anywhere | Enterprise | WIRED

Jim Forster jrforster at mac.com
Wed Jun 11 06:26:20 UTC 2014

Ram, all:

I know quite a bit about this, as I was an early Angel investor in Range Networks, am on the Board, and also active in a Biz Dev role.

I'm happy to explain more, answer questions, etc., either to the list or off-list.

I think it's very cool -- on the one hand OpenBTS takes as given the mobile phones of today via their Air interface (Um).  But after that it converts the calls and texts to Internet standard based protocol, SIP.  The RF is done using a software defined radio, with the software running on an x86 process (Intel Atom, or more usually Core i.7, or sometimes ARM).  OpenBTS is also open sourced -- not only the software, but even our first Software Defined Radio is Open Source.  You can send our CAD files to a manufacturer and get back radio cards.

In theory it could run on any frequency (SDR), but in practice it runs in the cellular bands, so that normal phones will work.

Cell systems used to be obscure, mysterious and even intimidating.  Not any more.  It's just some software.

  -- Jim

PS: At the risk of veering into a commercial message: we have nice little Dev Kits available for very little $$; and 50% discount for Universities.  The students can then examine every line of code, and change them if they want :-)