[Yourtopia] More data questions

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Fri Apr 20 19:33:56 BST 2012

Hi again,

I have updated the English definition of poverty incidence - the Italian
version should be updated as well. A very short definition would be:

"Poverty incidence is the proportion of families with per capita income
below the poverty threshold."

It still needs an update of the Italian translation though, @Rosamaria?

Velichka

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Marian Steinbach <marian at sendung.de>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have another data-related question, this time it's about "Poverty
> incidence".
>
> This is the current english description:
>
> "A poor family in relative terms is defined as a family with
> consumption expenditure equal to or below the relative poverty line,
> which is calculated on the basis of survey data on household
> consumption. The threshold of absolute poverty is the monthly expense
> necessary to acquire the minimum basket of goods and services which
> are considered essential - in the Italian context for a given family
> to achieve the "minimally acceptable" standard of living. Families
> with a monthly expenditures equal to or less than the threshold value
> (which differs in size and age composition of the family, by
> geographical and demographic size of the municipality of residence)
> are classified as absolutely poor."
>
> From this text, I understand that relative and absolute poverty are
> two different concepts. But it leaves open which one is reflected in
> the data. Or at least it's not clear.
>
> The visualization on the Istat page and the available excel downloads
> only contain data on relative poverty.
>
> Shouldn't we edit the description, and maybe also the headline, to
> reflect that the data is actually about relative poverty?
>
> Source:
>
> http://noi-italia.istat.it/index.php?id=7&user_100ind_pi1[id_pagina]=106&cHash=b4644f7517d30b81dccd95c3073a7100
>
> Marian

Velichka Dimitrova