[Yourtopia] Yourtopia2 conceptual questions

Guo Xu guo.xu at okfn.org
Wed Mar 21 23:42:43 GMT 2012

Hi Marian,

> - Is the sequence of questions always the same, regardless what
> weights the user sets?
Yes, the sequence should be regardless of the weights the user sets.

> - How are the presets/defaults chosen? When I skip to question 2, why
> is GNI per capita set to 100%? And in question 3. life expectancy at
> birth? --> doesn't this cause a bias? Wouldn't it be good to have an
> equal weight as the default?
Yes, this does cause a default bias. The reason why we have decided on
these defaults is that these are the standard weights set in the Human
Development Index (HDI). In this way, we "nest" the HDI as a special
case of the Yourtopia index.

> - Right now, the document "Key indicators of Italian progress" > Sheet
> "Series" shows 21 criteria and a fourth category "Crime". How will the
> criteria have to be grouped in the quiz sequence? How many questions
> will we end up with?
As far as I have understood it, the criteria are grouped into
different categories. In Yourtopia 1, for example, we had three
categories:

1) Economy 2) Health 3) Education

For each of the category, we ask for the weight (a, b, c)

Each of the category has 3 variables, and we also poll these weights:
(a1,b1,c1); (a2,b2,c2); (a3;b3;c3).

We then sum up and aggregate the index for each variable:

a*(a1*value1+b1*value2+c1*value3)+b*(a2*value4+b2*value5+c2*value6)+c*(a3*value7+b3*value8+c3*value9).

I hope this makes sense?

Guo