[ckan-discuss] issues with CKAN translation

Stefano Costa stefano.costa at okfn.org
Wed Jun 9 10:36:16 BST 2010

Hi all,
while translating CKAN to Italian I noticed there are some shortcomings
with strings being too much split, as this introduces some problems with
sentence structure in languages like Italian (and I think several other
languages - I'm curious about Hungarian for example), that differ a lot
from English.

Ideally, one would want to translate longer strings of text that make up
entire sentences rather than small bits that end up in a fixed order.

Example: in the footer, there is "An <Open Knowledge Foundation>
project".

In Italian, I would write "Un progetto della <Open Knowledge
Foundation>" (that's why I left this text in English, btw).

Not the most urgent of problems, but something to take into account.

Ciao,
Stefano

--
Stefano Costa

Coordinator, Working Group on Open Data in Archaeology
http://wiki.okfn.org/wg/archaeology
The Open Knowledge Foundation
http://www.okfn.org · http://opendefinition.org/