[ckan-discuss] issues with CKAN translation

Benoit Boissinot bboissin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 11:23:00 BST 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Stefano Costa <stefano.costa at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> while translating CKAN to Italian I noticed there are some shortcomings
> with strings being too much split, as this introduces some problems with
> sentence structure in languages like Italian (and I think several other
> languages - I'm curious about Hungarian for example), that differ a lot
> from English.

It's well known. In
http://bitbucket.org/bboissin/ckan-i18n-fr/changeset/c631ecaf9552 I
use some recent feature from the template language to avoid this
problem.
With the change you always translate full sentences and can reorder
the tags. The strings looks like:
"CKAN is the Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network, a [1:registry] of "
"[2:open knowledge] packages and projects\n"
"    (and a few closed ones)."

(I'm not sure the ckan dev like it though)