[ckan-discuss] New dataset catalog to add

McKeel, Ryan Ryan.McKeel at nrel.gov
Mon Dec 5 23:21:27 GMT 2011

Rufus,

	Thank you for your prompt response.
	OpenEI can be considered both a set of crowd-sourced datasets and a
crowd-sourced catalog.  The structured wiki represents dozens of datasets;
some are well-baked and subject matter expert approved, and others are
growing from a crowd-sourced model (see
http://en.openei.org/wiki/Special:Categories for the categories of our
structured information).  OpenEI datasets represents a catalog (and in
many cases, we have the source data file also) of more than 650 energy
datasets.
	Additionally, outside organizations such as the Tetherless World
Constellation, considers OpenEI a catalog on its site.  TWC helps
transition datasets on Data.gov to RDF format, and claims to be the
largest (in # of triples) endpoint on the LOD graph.  The link for this
use of OpenEI as an open energy data catalog is here:
http://gemini.tw.rpiscrews.us/source/en-openei-org/dataset_page/catalog/ver
sion/2011-Jun-27

Perhaps that will help explain OpenEI and whether it would be correct to
categorize on datacatalogs.org.  We are also listed at
http://thedatahub.org/dataset/open-energy-info-wiki.

Thanks for your consideration,

Ryan McKeel — Senior Web Applications Engineer — National Renewable Energy
Laboratory, Data Analysis and Visualization Group — Phone: 303-275-3819