[ckan-discuss] Topic list (vocabulary/valuelist) for classifyingdatasets .

p.romain at cg33.fr p.romain at cg33.fr
Wed Jun 13 11:34:05 BST 2012

Hi Edo,

I totally agree with you. Eurovoc is a more suitable vocabulary but what
matters is the possible alignement those vocabularies offer.
For example the term gezondheidszorg
http://www.eionet.europa.eu/gemet/concept?cp=3866&langcode=nl&ns=1 refers
to an exact match in Eurovoc, Agrovoc and to a close match to dbpedia.
No one today would use the eurovoc 72 geography category to describe an
opendata dataset including geolocalised data and the issue we are facing
in my opinion is the number of thematic entries we offer to the end user :
too many and we lose them, too little and we might confuse them.

As a response to this issue we could implement a select dropdown that
offers the subset to the end user but offer him the ability to describe
its dataset with the top-level of this vocabulary
That's the way we currently go with our work on Ckan. We could probably
share some code in that matter, couldn't we ?

Best,
Pascal Romain
Chef de projet informatique documentaire
Service Projets Etudes Conseils
Direction des Systèmes d'Information
05 56 99 33 33 poste 6643
@datalocale