[ckan-discuss] Topic list (vocabulary/valuelist) forclassifyingdatasets .

Plantinga, Edo Edo.Plantinga at koop.wmrijk.nl
Thu Jun 14 10:32:14 BST 2012

Hi Pascal & David,

I agree on the importance of having a value list that offers unambiguous definitions. And international translations are definitely a bonus. I also agree with you and David that the number number of topics that are displayed to a user should be limited. A maximum of around 12 *displayed to the visitor* would be ideal: I agree with David on that. The EUROVOC offers 22 topics. However, I guess this will not be such a big problem, since it is likely that not all topics will be filled when a dataportal contains fewer than say, 5000 datasets (and for larger dataportals, having 22 topics may be justifiable). Furthermore, for large data portals a visitor will most likely perform a search on a specific keyword, and then filter down based on topics (using faceted search). It is unlikely that a specific keyword will have hits in each topic, so the topics list (facets) displayed will be less than the full 22 topics. For example: if a visitor would search on "Car", one would expect hits in the  TRANSPORT or ENVIRONMENT (etc) topics, but not in the POLITICS (etc) topics, limiting the number of topics displayed to the visitor.

Regarding your comment about tagging datasets with 72 GEOGRAPHY: I think having a geo component in a dataset does not automatically classify it in that category. For many geo datasets 48 TRANSPORT, 52 ENVIRONMENT or 56 AGRICULTURE, FORESTRY AND FISHERIES will make more sense.

@Pascal: So from your response: do I gather you agree that Eurovoc is the best option to use?

I am not sure if I follow what you mean when you say:
"we could implement a select dropdown that offers the subset to the end user but offer him the ability to describe its dataset with the top-level of this vocabulary". Could you elaborate?

Regards,

Edo Plantinga
data.overheid.nl