[open-government] Open Data hackathon outputs

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Dec 2 12:45:15 GMT 2010

One thing I would like to emphasize as an output is new or cleaned up
(open) datasets.

Usually in hackathons there's quite an emphasis on visual outputs be
that a visualization or a app -- in part because it's a lot easier to
demo and show what you did for 8h!

By contrast, producing datasets (or cleaning up existing ones) is
relatively unsexy but, IMO, very valuable -- perhaps more valuable
than the average app. It would thus be good to encourage this area of
work.

One way to do this is to ensure a standard way for logging and
presenting what people do here and so I'd like to propose any datasets
created as outputs from the hackathon be added as new entries (or
extension to existing entries) in a relevant community data catalogue
(e.g. http://ckan.net/, http://datadotgc.ca, http://offenedaten.de,
... [1]), with the entry containing:

1) a link to original dataset (if this is a cleaning exercise)
2) a link to new dataset
3) a link to the code used to do the processing
4) a tag opendataday2010

Often you can merge (2) and (3) by uploading the data into the repo
(though this can be hard for large items).

Rufus

[1]: http://wiki.okfn.org/ckan/instances

On 2 December 2010 00:10, David Eaves <david at eaves.ca> wrote:
> Hello open data hackathon organizers,
>
> One or two additional thoughts.
>
> 1) I had a call today from a reporter at the daily press (the new Ipad only
> progressive "newspaper" being started by Murdoch). They would love to hear
> of visualizations and projects that get off the ground on Saturday with an
> eye on writing about them. Please do let me know what if anything you get up
> to as I'd love to connect you with him.
>
> I suspect there will be more media like this - my goal is to connect media
> to people actually organizing the events and the developers whose projects
> get off the ground... so please, do let me know!
>
> 2) I'll be sending out an update to the Vancouver group tomorrow via my blog
> and mailing list - please do feel free to use it as a template... (both
> Montreal and Ottawa have both sent out theirs in case you can't wait! - they
> are fantastic reference materials and I can forward you the emails if you
> let me know you are interested.)
>
> Hope everyone is excited.
>
> cheers.
> dave