[open-government] UK Government transparency update (and democracy?)

Paola Di Maio paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 20:06:15 UTC 2010

Hi Dave!

thanks for reply

> I actually think most people in the open government movement see open data
> and open government as reinforcing democracy... indeed, for many I think
> democracy is a presumed precondition for greater transparency

Of course, this is what I also thought, that's my point.

But based on conversations and email exchanges ( may send you a snip) some
people who are riding the open government data wave do not believe in
democracy at all, or rather, they believe its a 'nice idea that does not
work'. Not only they avoid the subject, they avoid answering questions,
expliciTly state that they do not have to be accountable to anyone,  make it
plain that democracy is not part of their ethos.

Thats what put me on the alert a bit.

Perhaps we should organise a panel at the next OGDCamp - or other related
events, (an open panel) to dig a bit deeper into various interesting aspects
of the relationship between open data and democracy.

I am particulary interested in exploring  ' what mechanisms can monitor the
uptake of democratic processes in relation to open government data
initiatives' , that is, how do we know , for example, that everyone gets the
chance to show their work, and inclusion in the open government agenda  is
not engineered and orchestrated by an elite who decides who gets a slot to
speak, and who does not?

A lot can be inferred by the organisational processes in place, and what
arterfacts are used to share information and decision making (is a wiki
actually open to all and used for planning? or is the wiki just used as a
facade to show what someone behind the scene may have planned?)

Look forward to explore the topic further

PDM