[open-government] [euopendata] [psi-workers] Rules + website for Open Data Challenge

Thomas Roessler tlr at w3.org
Thu Mar 24 12:36:37 GMT 2011

On 24 Mar 2011, at 13:32, Jonathan Gray wrote:

> For me the 'you have to team up with someone in another country' angle
> is quite nice as it means people in different countries will have to
> talk and work together (which is partly what the competition seeks to
> encourage).

On the one hand, I like that idea.  On the other hand, I wonder whether we're overconstraining things.

> Re: open source + open data in apps, what about 'we strongly encourage
> entrants to use open licenses for code, content and data'?

I don't think we should require open source licenses for the apps (or make this part of the evaluation) -- in fact, if somebody came up with something that's productized and sold later on, we should welcome that.

At the same time I do think we need to say something about the data used:  For example, I don't think we're looking for an app that required 1M EUR upfront investment to acquire the data.