[open-government] [euopendata] [psi-workers] Rules + website for Open Data Challenge

Marcus Dapp info at digisus.info
Thu Mar 24 17:51:28 GMT 2011

@Paul, sorry, I was not aware that only my initials are visible. The
name is Marcus Dapp. :-)

First, I understand what Paul and Federico are saying. Because of the
consortium of organizers among other things, "we" cannot be a strictly
open as we want to be. So, the proposal is to be as open as possible by
e.g., using the Ottawa/4.4. approach:

> /4.4 Your Application must be hosted and publicly available on your
> website or a third-party website as of the start of the Selection
> Period up to and including the end of the Selection Period for
> public voting and judging purposes. The City encourages you to
> maintain your application for a period of 6 months following the
> Contest Period. Contest Winners, in consideration of being selected
> as a Contest winner, must agree to make their winning Application
> publicly available for three months after the date the release [...]/

Although I understand that we try to find a balanced approach I see
confusion arise with this provision.

What does "make publicly available for three months" mean in practice?
(a) That I can use it? I thought that is the 6 moths provision mentioned
a few lines above.
(b) That I can study/modify it? Then it is an unfortunate way of putting it.
(c) other?

I guess my question is: How do we ensure some sustainability when we
adopt the Ottawa rules?

Marcus