[open-government] [euopendata] [psi-workers] Rules + website for Open Data Challenge

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Thu Mar 24 21:11:48 UTC 2011

Dear all,

Besides all arguments about using open source technology....

On 24.03.2011, at 13:26, Federico Morando wrote:
> What needs to the open are the public data (in input), not necessarily the code/data of the re-users ("derived data")...

I agree that what we needs to be open is the data! But I have a strong opinion that this should NOT be limited to the "data input". As a reference please see the article from Jonathan

"Keeping Open Government Data Open?"
http://blog.okfn.org/2011/03/01/keeping-open-government-data-open/

One very important issue on our way towards a flowering "Open Data Landscape" is that we keep Open Data 'open'. As a principle we should call for apps, to be:

Open in, open out – If you pull open data into your website or system, then others should be able to pull it out as open data as well.

Regards
Daniel