[open-government] Question regarding license issues with mashed up data from several sources using several licenses

Martin Kaltenböck m.kaltenboeck at semantic-web.at
Sun Feb 12 14:56:29 UTC 2012

Dear all,

is there any guideline & info / experience available
when mashing up data & information from several data sources
that have different licenses / terms of use (no info about this)...

So e.g. when putting together data from A) World Bank (that is free for re-use by terms of use),
B) data.gov.uk (giving the Open Gov Data License - free to re-use by attribution)
as well as C) another source that has a CC license and D) data that I have collected
by myself via e.g. a questionnaire and D) data from a website that provides no clear
terms of use information....

2 Use Cases to clarify:

A) Publishing mashed up data & info from the given example sources above on a website
called 'MashUp' (just an example title)
Is it sufficient (legally) to mentioned the sources of every data set? And thats it?

B) Providing these 'MashUp' again as a data set for further re-use (as e.g. XML or RDF)
- Is there a guideline that for instance I am allowed to publish a certain range of data
for further re-use without a restriction (as it is e.g. for music) etc.....

Or: is the better approach to mention the original source & the original license per part of the
'MashUp' data - what could become a huge effort if using lots fo data sources....
or becomes impossible because I have mashed too much and the original source becomes
unable to mention exactly...

Many thanks for support / infos / opinions - all the best - martin

--
Martin Kaltenböck, CMC
Managing Partner, CFO

Semantic Web Company (SWC)