[open-government] Question regarding license issues - campaign for a common EU OD license

Cancio Melia, Jorge jcancio at minetur.es
Sun Feb 12 18:41:59 UTC 2012

I guess this campaign might be of interest to everybody on this list:

http://actuable.es/peticiones/say-to-neeliekroeseu-we-want-single-opendata-licence-in-the

extract from the petition:

"Support the establishment of a common European OpenData license
within the review of the Public Sector Information re-use Directive

Recently, the European Commission initiated the process of revision of
the European Directive on Re-use of Public Sector Information.

One of its main objectives is to provide a general authorisation to
re-use to citizens and businesses who want to make use of public
sector information for the creation of new services, generating
economic activity and enhancing the transparency.

The European Commission proposal of a revised Directive is certainly
bold and extends the current framework.

However, it has not defined a common European OpenData license which
should by applicable to all European Public Administrations.

The creation of a single public information re-use space in Europe
requires much more, it requires a common European OpenData license
applicable to all data generated by European public administrations.

This is possible. Royal Decree 1495/2011, approved by the Government
of Spain, provides an example of how a simple legal notice serves as
an open data license applicable in the state public sector – this sets
an easy to follow roadmap for implementation in Europe.

First, define a European OpenData license compatible with the
principles of information re-use without further conditions.

Second, set a transitional period after which the license is
associated with all information generated by the public sector in the
European Union.

Third, provide for the compulsory publication of such license in all
public administration websites giving legal certainty to all European
infomediary entrepreneurs and citizens wishing to make use of the
information.

Right now the European Commission and Member States are developing the
new directive, it is time that WE the OpenData community get our voice
heard in Europe. We ask the European Commission and the European
Parliament to include a common European OpenData license and a clear
deadline for adoption by all Member States in the revised Directive.

We cannot miss this golden opportunity in tapping the new gold of
public sector information!"

Regards

Jorge
--- Enviado desde PDA