[open-government] Parliamentary monitoring

Hille Hinsberg hille.hinsberg at praxis.ee
Thu Feb 9 10:04:52 UTC 2012

Hello Daniel,

In Estonia, we have recently launched a website of the same type (government watch). The site is in Estonian only, http://valvurid.err.ee/filters#filters  -  hopefully you can get some look and feel of the structure.

The aim ist o track how the government is doing in fulflling its action plan for the current four-year term. We do not track parlament records, but the implementation of party pledges by the government departments /ministries. The reason being  that not all of the activities are in the form of legislative bills, but rather, as strategies, financing measures, or just government decrees (official decisions). The project, a joint effort between National Broadcasting Corporation and us - the Praxis policy center will take a close look at the 536 pledges  in 18 policy areas , in the government program  (adopted in April 2011)

As project leader, Praxis has asked experts from all walks of life to evaluate the execution of those promises by ministries and other government institutions. publishing their findings on the. Visitors to the online environment can also participate in the discussion by posting their comments. The aim is not to confront the government but instead have a say in state affairs. We hope to see maintain the site until next parliamentary elections in 2015.

We have also made a state budget visualization, available in English at http://www.meieraha.eu/?lang=en&page=main

We´d like to develop the site and add more features, and are looking for various approaches  for analysing and presenting the budget.  We have made contact with Slovak site Price of the State.

Anyone with similar initiatives – please contact for further exchange of ideas/code!

Hille Hinsberg

Praxis Policy Center, Estonia

Skype: hillehh