[open-government] Examples of open data leading to increase in data quality?

Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou b.ooghe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 17:01:38 UTC 2013

Hello all,

A few more examples from the french perspective that come to mind:
- in april 2010, when the company Keolis opened for the first time its
open-bike system's data for the city of Rennes, the positions of the
stations were all shifted and therefore incorrect, the problem was
quickly fixed after the data was published and tried on by re-users
<http://data.keolis-rennes.com/fr/forum/developpement.html?tx_mmforum_pi1%5Baction%5D=list_post&tx_mmforum_pi1%5Btid%5D=6>
- when data on the candidates of the legislative elections was
published and re-used by ourselves, some people across the country
started reporting us errors like wrong names or dates of births, which
we corrected in our version published on our citizen CKAN
<http://www.nosdonnees.fr/dataset/liste-des-candidats-aux-lections-lgislatives-2012-dans-chaque-circonscription>
- when the Ministry for Agriculture published geographical data on the
production <http://www.data.gouv.fr/content/search?SearchText=registre+parcellaire+graphique&SortBy=PublishDate&SortOrder=0&Type=data&SortBy=PublishDate&SortOrder=0>,
people from OSM tried to push it into OpenStretMap and found many
geometrical errors they had to fix
<http://blog.rodolphe.quiedeville.org/index.php?post/2011/12/registre-parcellaire-graphique-opendata-baddata>

In these last two cases though, and even when the corrections were
forwarded to the administrations, the corrections were not applied
back to the original datasets to our knowledge.

Best,

Benjamin for Regards Citoyens