[open-government] Examples of dates of birth being published as part of the public record?

Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou b.ooghe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 17:02:31 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

Privacy and statistical secrets rules are quite seriously legally
ruled in France, and public data is explicitely defined as non-private
information. Still in some legal exceptions, personal information can
sometimes be published, here are a few late additions from that
perspective:
- list of candidates from elections usually include birth dates for
instance in the last legislative elections
<http://www.nosdonnees.fr/dataset/liste-des-candidats-aux-lections-lgislatives-2012-dans-chaque-circonscription>
- the company registry SIREN, which is only available for payment and
therefore not open but accessible as bulk to clients, includes
personal information such as professional activity and date of birth
of the companies owners (reused for instance here
<http://dirigeant.societe.com/dirigeant/Christophe.BOUTET.36270705.html>)
- the list of immatriculation of cars, also not open, but sold to car
and insurance companies include detailed info about the cars and their
owners (here is an example of the part of the data for the cars
<http://twitter.com/nicolaskb/statuses/283851324293009408>).

Conversely, even though this can hardly be qualified as private
information, surnames data are not totally made public. These data are
often released by local councils but they implement the statistical
secret law with creativity, since the decision of the commision in
charge of this topic is unclear and appears not to be public. Usually,
only surnames having been given at least a few times (usually 5) a
year are published.

Best,

Benjamin for Regards Citoyens