[annotator-dev] Annotator for the British Museum?

Mark MacGillivray mark at odaesa.com
Fri Jul 8 23:35:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Nick Stenning <nick at whiteink.com> wrote:
> The problem with other websites is that there's no way to force
> Annotator to load into a page using only a link. Or is there? I'd love
> to be proven wrong. The only way I can think you might make some
> progess would involve <iframe>s. But even then I bet browser security
> restrictions will prevent you from doing anything as dramatic as
> running code in the <iframe> context.

it is possible to provide a javascript as a URL just like a
bookmarklet. Then, by capturing a comment ID from a URL param, a
particular comment could be loaded. However, it is likely that browser
security tools would flag a warning or block this sort of action - and
that sites like facebook / twitter may block such content. So it would
need some testing.

Another alternative would be to run a link shortening service for this
in-house as it were, and whenever such a link was followed, display a
short "you need annotator" "blah blah" before forwarding. Then at
least the URL could still contain a comment ID param, and the user
could turn on their annotator bookmarklet once arriving on the page -
or for more savvy users running greasemonkey or the like, it may
already be running and would display fine.

This, however, could certainly be jarring for the average user - but
then again, the average user of annotator is already a step up in
terms of technical ability from someone who just uses google and
facebook.

Mark