[annotator-dev] Annotator for the British Museum?

johnny jiang johnny.nan.jiang at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 11:55:15 UTC 2011

Thanks guys for all your advise.

I think the cons and pros of this idea could be:

Benefits:
1. Given that SNS is the most popular platform nowadays, it could make the
book more open to the public.
2. One could spread his comments via Twitter, Facebook, and Google+  to his
followers, and this could potentially attract more people to the book (the
source).
3. We kind of delegate the social functionality to those SNSs, and just
concentrate on annotating, which is the main focus.
4. This actually could be another topic where I would like to talk about
OAuth and OpenID. If one can log in to www.openshakespeare.org with his
Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, then he could potentially utilize the
existing social functions of those SNSs. Eg: he could chat with GTalk, and
establish a book group via Facebook, so we kind of delegate many functions
to those SNSs, and don't have to re-invent wheels. One example could be the
online chatting function on www.bookglutton.com, which I personally think is
unnecessary to re-invent.

Risks:
1. SNS elements could make the UI distracting and complex. Chances are we
could make it display only when needed.
2. It might be unnecessary for books or articles that have restricted
copyrights and permissions.

Please feel free to let me know your opinions.

Also here is a demo of the idea that has been implemented for my own
annotation app. SNS options will display when you hover on the comment.
http://www.cxware.net/social-reading/book/1/chapter/1/comment/208/html

I didn't mean to bring in another annotation system, it was just developed
by myself without knowing your excellent project. I'm trying to align my
think with your project, as it is great and is my very interest.

Kind regards
Johnny