[annotator-dev] FinalsClub Annotations

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Nov 2 18:51:13 UTC 2011

On 17 October 2011 16:52, Andrew at FinalsClub.org <andrew at finalsclub.org> wrote:
> Dear Annotation Aficionados,

Welcome and sorry for slow reply (this arrived for me around the time
of our Open Gov Data Camp event!).

> I am involved with FinalsClub.org, a non-profit open education project for college students to share their knowledge freely with the world.  In addition to note-sharing, the project also had an annotation component from 2007 to 2009.  During that time, we hired about a dozen Harvard PhDs to annotate public domain works of literature, including ten Shakespeare plays.

Amazing!

> Unfortunately, our old site is down and those annotations are not publicly visible.  I have, however, attached the xml file for Romeo and Juliet with about 500 annotations.  If anyone is interested in helping us resurrect about 90 public domain texts with some 9000+ high quality annotations, we would very much like the help.

We are very interested! The Open Knowledge Foundation actually started
work on Annotator because of our Open Shakespeare project
<http://openshakespeare.org/> (now morphing into Open Literature
<http://openliterature.net/>). In cc is James Harriman-Smith who has
been the lead in recent times of our Open Shakespare work (Open
Shakespeare and Open Literature operate under the auspices of our Open
Humanities working group [1]).

[1]: http://wiki.okfn.org/Working_Groups/Humanities

> Given that all of our content is creative commons attribution only, we're glad to share it with proper attribution to finalsclub.  I'd also love to get the annotate software running on our servers so our community of scholars can start adding more value to these classic texts.  There is, however, no urgency to the matter.

Sounds fantastic and it sounds like there is a great opportunity
collaborate here not just with Annotator tool but with Open Humanities
and Open Literature work.

Rufus

> Please do let me know if you're interested in helping.  Thanks in advance!
>
> Looking forward,
> Andrew Magliozzi
> Founder, FinalsClub.org

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation