[annotator-dev] FinalsClub Annotations

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Nov 2 19:08:25 UTC 2011

On 30 October 2011 18:58, Andrew Magliozzi <andrew at finalsclub.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the words of support, Philipp.

To follow up my other email ...

> I'd love to help the OKF as much as possible. Since Shakespeare is only part
> of the content we have I'd love to get your platform running on
> FinalsClub.org so our community can resume annotating even more great public
> domain texts.

That would be great. One of our plans (as just mentioned) is to expand
Open Shakespeare (and Open Milton) to be Open Literature i.e. to be a
place for all open texts. We'd love to collaborate here since it
sounds like we're both interested inthis. As this is less relevant to
Annotator list so may want to move to open humanities mailing list:

> I would also like to discuss some ideas I have about annotation in general,
> particularly with regard to the kindle and other e-readers. Rufus, would you
> be free for a Skype chat this Thursday perhaps?

Tomorrow (thursday) would be possible though it would be really good
to be able to bring in my colleague James. What about tying this in
with the next biweekly Open Literature / Open Humanities meetup
(sunday after next)?

Rufus

> Looking forward,
> Andrew
>

> On Oct 30, 2011, at 1:11 PM, Philipp Schmidt <philipp at p2pu.org> wrote:
>

> On 17 October 2011 08:52, Andrew at FinalsClub.org <andrew at finalsclub.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Annotation Aficionados,
>>
>> I am involved with FinalsClub.org, a non-profit open education project for
>> college students to share their knowledge freely with the world.  In
>> addition to note-sharing, the project also had an annotation component from
>> 2007 to 2009.  During that time, we hired about a dozen Harvard PhDs to
>> annotate public domain works of literature, including ten Shakespeare plays.
>>
>> Unfortunately, our old site is down and those annotations are not publicly
>> visible.  I have, however, attached the xml file for Romeo and Juliet with
>> about 500 annotations.  If anyone is interested in helping us resurrect
>> about 90 public domain texts with some 9000+ high quality annotations, we
>> would very much like the help.
>
> Wow. How hard would it be to import them? For example to this:
> http://openshakespeare.org/work/romeo_and_juliet
> @Rufus - could be a good way to bootstrap open shakespeare, but also a
> broader annotation community around annotator. Is there still a public site
> - I could only find http://okfn.org/projects/annotator/
> There may be an opportunity to turn Annotator into a service like Universal
> Subtitles
>

>> Given that all of our content is creative commons attribution only, we're
>> glad to share it with proper attribution to finalsclub.  I'd also love to
>> get the annotate software running on our servers so our community of
>> scholars can start adding more value to these classic texts.  There is,
>> however, no urgency to the matter.
>>
>> Please do let me know if you're interested in helping.  Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Looking forward,
>> Andrew Magliozzi
>> Founder, FinalsClub.org

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation