[annotator-dev] anyone up for a hackathon this weekend?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Oct 28 12:11:31 UTC 2011

This sounds great Benny (and we know Stefan and his project well!). As
Nick has already said he might be around this weekend and I might also
be able to be online (though won't be able to come to London).

Perhaps we can designate an irc channel (e.g. I'm usually on #okfn on
freenode) and aim to hang out there as well as any in person stuff
that happens.

Rufus

On 25 October 2011 21:58, benny daon <bennydaon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> My name is Benny and I volunteer in an Israeli non-profit, "The Public
> Knowledge Workshop", developing an open site for the Israeli parliament (BSD
> license). One of the features we have in our site is the ability to annotate
> official meeting protocol - here's an example -
> http://oknesset.org/committee/meeting/4298/#annotation-286 . We're using
> code developed originally by Stefan Wehrmeyer for the German bundestagger
> site.
> Our code needs some serious refactoring and looking for alternatives we
> found AnnotateIt and decided to try and use it instead of our current code.
> While all this fun is going on we we've been invited by Google
> to participate in a british-israeli hackathon this weekend:
> "The british embassy is about to open a technology "HUB" in Israel. The idea
> of this "HUB" is to promote collaboration between Israeli and British tech
> companies.
> The launch of the HUB is about to happen on Sunday, October 30th.
> For this launch, we want to show the vast collaboration between British
> companies/organizations and Israeli ones that already takes place here.
> This is why, we arranged a Hackathon of 2 days collaboration between
> projects that are for the general welfare of the Israel, British and other
> citizens of the world.
> The event is sponsored/hosted by Google, but the work is in no way on Google
> products.
> In the end of the event, there will be a short "show-and-tell" of the
> projects worked on, in which some very high ranked people from the british
> government, including the British Chancellor,  will participate and see what
> we've worked on.
> We would be very much glad to have any help from the British side on the
> projects we're going to work on.
> The London office will be opened during this weekend for the purpose, as
> well as food served.
> "
> We're going to use the weekend to work on integrating AnnotateIt into our
> code and possibly creating a browser extension using help from developers
> from http://crossrider.com/ . If you can join us working from Google's
> London office (or from Haifa :-) please let me know by replying to this
> thread.
> Thanks,
> Benny

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation