[annotator-dev] highlight ranges gets broken on load

Nick Stenning nick at whiteink.com
Thu Sep 8 15:44:41 UTC 2011

Hey Ewald,

I haven't been able to deduce what's wrong with your copy of the annotator,
primarily because the repository you've pointed me to shares no commit
history with our repository at https://github.com/okfn/annotator. This makes
it rather tedious to find out what has changed between the repositories.

Can I suggest you a) delete your existing repository on Github and b) fork
the annotator using the handy "Fork" button in the top-right of the
above-linked page? You can then merge your changes into your own fork, and
it will be much easier to work out what's going on.

All that said, I suspect I know what's going on here. In my earlier email to
you, you'll note that in order to implement the different colours of
annotation, I merely *added* a class to the relevant highlight elements, but
did not replace or remove the "annotator-hl" class. This class is used to
determine which elements are the result of the Annotator's dicing and
slicing of the DOM, and elements with that class are carefully ignored in
serialization/deserialization of the annotations.

You should have no problems if you colour your highlights differently by
simply adding *additional* classes to the highlight elements. Please let me
know if I'm wrong and this does indeed cause you problems.

Lastly, I can't emphasise how useful it would be if you could make a proper
fork of the annotator repository. That way, when your changes are working
and tested, we might be happy to include your plugin in the official
annotator distribution.

Best wishes,
Nick