[annotator-dev] Initializing multiple annotators on one page.

Nick Stenning nick at whiteink.com
Sun Jan 22 23:58:11 UTC 2012

Hi Friedrich,

So, to answer your questions as best I can:

1) Should be no problem at all. Aron spent some time making sure this
was possible. You should be able to call

    $('#one').annotator(); $('#two').annotator();

and if you run into problems doing this, you should file a bug report.

2) I'm not entirely sure what this means, but the content of the 'uri'
field on annotations is currently ignored by the Annotator frontend.
The XPath 'start' and 'end' of the annotations are calculated relative
to the element on which the annotator is initialised, however, and
this provides a relatively easy way to achieve what you're after -- as
long as you ensure that the markup (or at least the DOM structure:
classes and ids won't matter) within an annotatable region is
consistent, you should be able to load annotations just fine.

(Oh, and I realise that this doesn't necessarily solve all your
problems at once, but it's a start! If you want to grab me on IRC or
Skype about the possibility of identifying start/end annotation nodes
by id, please do. This is a use case I've thought about, and Annotator
doesn't really help you get there at the moment.)

Best,
Nick