[annotator-dev] ANN: Multilingual Linked Open Data for Enterprise (MLODE) Leipzig, September 23-24-25, 2012

Sebastian Hellmann hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Tue Jul 24 14:11:39 UTC 2012

*Save the date: Leipzig, Germany 23-24-25 September 2012
http://sabre2012.infai.org/mlode
Co-located with the Leipziger Semantic Web Day: http://aksw.org/lswt

====== Multilingual Linked Open Data for Enterprises ======

MLODE will bring together developers, data producers, academia and
enterprises and connect people, communities, data and industrial use
cases. The workshop will be very interactive and you are expected to
help us achieve common goals:
* bootstrap and build a Linguistic Linked Open Data Cloud (LLOD):
http://linguistics.okfn.org/resources/llod/
* establish best practices for multilingual linked open data
* create incentives for businesses and lower the barrier for
participation in LOD for natural language processing and
internationalisation and localisation enterprises.

We are expecting intensive participation by members of the following
communities (these are teasers, see the **detailed descriptions for each
community** further below):
* DBpedia ( http://dbpedia.org <about:blank>): DBpedia International now
has over 10 language-specific chapters (such as http://el.dbpedia.org
<http://el.dbpedia.org/>). At the MLODE workshop there will be a DBpedia
Developers meetup. We will discuss the “Future of DBpedia” and create a
common Road Map. If you want to get more involved in DBpedia, the
workshop will be a good opportunity to meet the team.
* Working Group for Open Data in Linguistics (OWLG,
http://linguistics.okfn.org <http://linguistics.okfn.org/%29>): Now is
the time to get your data into the LLOD cloud! We have created a
development team that will convert your data to RDF and help establish
links: http://code.google.com/p/mlode/. Please submit your data sets
soon! (Furthermore we will have a legal session to discuss licensing
issues.)
* Multilingual Web ( http://www.multilingualweb.eu
<http://www.multilingualweb.eu/>): Free, open data and lexica; we will
have a session discussing best practices for multilingual linked open
data (http://mlode.okfnpad.org/best-practices-multilingual-lod) and
compatability with the RDF world with ITS 2.0.
* Apache Stanbol ( http://incubator.apache.org/stanbol/): Enterprises
will have the chance to present their use cases during lightning talks
and we will have a Apache Stanbol Booth and an install fest to show
hands-on how combined usage of public and closed data can be achieved
and what benefits firms can gain from using these rapidly increasing
data pools.
* Ontolex W3C Community Group ( http://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/):
Monnet Challenge will provide a data bounty for developers who convert
data sets using lemon.
* Also: NLP2RDF (http://nlp2rdf.org <http://nlp2rdf.org/>) - the NIF
project, DBpedia Spotlight (http://spotlight.dbpedia.org
<http://spotlight.dbpedia.org/>), Wiktionary2RDF
(http://dbpedia.org/Wiktionary)

How you can contribute:

* Contact us if you are an enterprise and want to prepare a small
presentation/lightning talk about your business use cases (using LOD) or
problems you have (please see below for details)
* Contact us if you want to give a short presentation on a relevant topic
* We are looking for a sponsor for a DBpedia Booth
* Submit your data sets for the LLOD: http://code.google.com/p/mlode/
* Become a sponsor of the workshop:
http://sabre2012.infai.org/mlode/funding?&#sponsorship
* Or donate money and help the individual communities:
http://sabre2012.infai.org/mlode/Funding

DBpedia is a good example of a freely available and open data set that
was generated by crowd-sourcing and academia, but it has provided an
immense value to businesses and industry. We want to build on and
continue this success for the areas of natural language processing
enterprises and the internationalisation and localisation industries.

The goal of the workshop is to bootstrap a Multilingual Linked Open Data
cloud by bringing together many different linked open data sets and by
creating synergy among different research and business communities. This
workshop is aimed at researchers and industry and commercial consumers
of data produced by research. We hope for mutual benefits between
(potentially non-commercial) data providers and enterprises: Open-source
and open-licences for software have shown that they can be successful in
a commercial environment. How can we transfer these models to
Multilingual Linked Open Data? And how can the transformation of
currently monolingual Linked Open Data sources into a Multilingual Web
of Open Data spur cross-linguistic research, and commercial applications
in internationalisation and localisation enterprises?

===== Sponsors =====
We would like to thank our sponsors for supporting the workshop:
* The **Working MultilingualWeb-LT Working Group** -
http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/
* The **Interactive Knowledge Stack (IKS) EU Research Project** -
http://www.iks-project.eu/
* The **Monnet Project** - http://www.monnet-project.eu/

===== Monnet Challenge =====
The Monnet Project (http://www.monnet-project.eu/) is offering the
following bounties for the conversion of existing linguistic resources
into linked data, in particular focussing on the
**lemon format** (http://www.monnet-project.eu/lemon) . **Bounties are
600, 400, 200, 100, 50 Euros** . The selection of winners will be done
by a committee of Ontolex community members.
Core criteria:
* Number of triples (relative to other submissions). Emphasis is of
course on number of triples containing a URI from //lemon// .
* Expressiveness and quality of lemon used (How many properties and
classes of //lemon// are you using? Are you using them correctly?)
* Impact (Is the data set you converted important and central to our
cause? We also rate data sets for less-spoken languages higher, because
of the rarity effect.)

Additional criteria:
* Note that you can convert and submit more than one data set. You will
be rated for the combined data you converted (so each person can only
make one submission).
* You will be given extra points if you publish converted data early and
other people build upon your work (e.g. fix errors).
* All submissions will be considered for inclusion in the data
post-proceedings.

Detailed information on how to submit can be found on the Monnet
Challenge page:
http://sabre2012.infai.org/mlode/monnet-challenge

Submission will end 10 days before the workshop. The deadline therefore
is **September 13th, 2012**

===== Planned Sessions =====
Each session will have an etherpad
http://sabre2012.infai.org/mlode/etherpadso that you can already
participate in advance.

==== Submit your data today ====
In preparation, from now until September 23rd, we will:
* Collect data sets relevant to the Linguistic Linked Open Data Cloud
http://code.google.com/p/mlode/
* Provide conversion services and data 'bounties' to convert as much
data as possible to RDF before the workshop
* Help debugging and hosting your Linked Data

We are interested in data that is linguistic in nature, such as corpora
and lexica, as well as data that might be used to improve Natural
Language Processing methods such as large governmental parallel corpora
or entity linking engines.

==== Sun 23th: Community Get Together ====
Community Get Together - no program, just social activities, e.g.
barbecue, beach volleyball. Time and place will be announced soon.

==== 24th: Code-Sprint-a-Thon ====
Code-Sprint-a-Thon (hands-on workshop) with data providers, visionaries
and developers from all communities. The focus of the Code-Sprint-a-Thon
will be on gathering the requirements and use cases from attendees and
then developers will start to initiate these ideas with the collected
data sets, e.g. interesting cross-data set queries, visualisations, data
mash-ups. The result will be more Multilingual Linked Open Data, more
links, more tools and more applications.

=== DBpedia ===
Many DBpedia developers will be available during this workshop so that
you can ask them questions directly. Bring your laptop and they will
show you how to download and query DBpedia.

=== Apache Stanbol ===
Developers from Apache Stanbol ( http://incubator.apache.org/stanbol/)
will be at the Apache Stanbol booth and they will have an install fest
to show hands-on how combined usage of public and closed data can be
achieved and what benefits firms can gain from using the rapidly
increasing data pools.

==== 25th: Announcements ====
* State of the Linguistic LOD Cloud (
http://linguistics.okfn.org/resources/llod/)
* NIF 2.0 (http://wiki.nlp2rdf.org/)
* Presentation of the results of the Code-Sprint-a-Thon
* Announcement of the Monnet Challenge Winners

====25th: Lightning Talks: Use Cases by Enterprises ====
We are looking for companies to present their use cases and/or products
that are relevant to the topics of the MLODE workshop. Please contact us
if your enterprise would like to present on a topic from this
(non-exhaustive) list:
* Use cases based on Linked Data (either open or closed)
* Solutions that are built with data from the LOD cloud
* Problems that constitute barriers for economic exploitation of LOD
* Ideas of what could be built with Linguistic/Multilingual LOD

We aim to address questions like:
* How can we unlock the data created by research and open communities
for enterprises?
* What is missing?
* How can we build bridges?

Submission ends on September 13th, which is one week before the
workshop. Presentations will be around 3-5 minutes.

====25th: Session on Best Practices for Multilingual Linked Open Data ====
Please have a look at the etherpad:
http://mlode.okfnpad.org/best-practices-multilingual-lod
<http://mlode.okfnpad.org/best-practices-multilingual-lod?>
<http://mlode.okfnpad.org/best-practices-multilingual-lod?>
====25th: Session on Legal Issues ====
Erik Ketzan (http://www.linkedin.com/in/erikketzan)
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/erikketzan%29>will present the Clarin Legal
Helpdesk and talk about current problems regarding database licences.
Please have a look at the etherpad: http://mlode.okfnpad.org/legal-session

==== 25th: Session on DBpedia Roadmap ====
Please have a look at the etherpad: http://mlode.okfnpad.org/DBpedia-roadmap

==== Data post proceedings ====
This workshop will publish a data post proceedings. As this is a new
concept, the rules for submission are not yet fixed. We will collect
ideas here: http://mlode.okfnpad.org/data-post-proceedings
During the discussion at the conference, we will pin down the details.

===== Participating Communities =====

==== Multilingual Web ====
MLODE Contact: Dominic Jones ( https://www.scss.tcd.ie/dominic.jones/)
Many ideas were generated into the best-practice use of Multilingual LOD
at the W3C sponsored "Multilingual Web – Linked Open Data and
MultilingualWeb-LT Requirements" workshop held in Dublin, Ireland, June
2012
(http://www.multilingualweb.eu/en/documents/dublin-workshop/dublin-program).
One of the aims of MLODE workshop is to continue discussion around the
best-practices for application of LOD in the Multilingual Web and the
transformation of currently monolingual LOD resources into multiple
languages, for example a multi-lingual DBpedia. Topics for discussion
and talking points will be carried over from the Dublin workshop and
discussed during the MLODE workshop but new ideas or suggestions are of
course welcome and requested. We will have a session discussing best
practices for multilingual linked open data and compatibility of the RDF
world with ITS 2.0. You can already participate in the discussion:
http://mlode.okfnpad.org/best-practices-multilingual-lod

==== DBpedia ====
MLODE Contact: Dimitris Kontokostas
<http://el.dbpedia.org/>) . At the workshop there will be a DBpedia
Developers meetup, we will discuss the “Future of DBpedia” and create a
common Road Map. If you want to get more involved in DBpedia, the
workshop will be a good opportunity to meet the team.

==== OWLG ====
MLODE Contact: Richard Littauer
Working Group for Open Data in Linguistics (OWLG,
http://linguistics.okfn.org <http://linguistics.okfn.org/%29>): Now is
the time to get your data into the LLOD cloud! We have created a
development team that will convert your data to RDF and help establish
links: http://code.google.com/p/mlode/. Please submit your data sets!
(Furthermore we will have a legal session to discuss licensing issues.)

==== Ontolex ====
MLODE Contact: John McCrae
Ontolex W3C Community Group ( http://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/):
Monnet Challenge will provide a data bounty for developers who convert
data sets using lemon

==== Apache Stanbol ====
MLODE Contact: John Pereira
Apache Stanbol ( http://incubator.apache.org/stanbol/): Enterprises will
have the chance to present their use cases during lightning talks and we
will have a Apache Stanbol Booth and an install fest to show hands-on
how combined usage of public and closed data can be achieved and what
benefits firms can gain from using the rapidly increasing data pools.

==== NLP2RDF ====
NLP2RDF (http://nlp2rdf.org <http://nlp2rdf.org/>): the NIF project will
announce the new NIF 2.0 Specification at the conference. Discussion is
currently going on at the Wiki (http://wiki.nlp2rdf.org)

==== Other Communities ====
* DBpedia Spotlight (http://spotlight.dbpedia.org
<http://spotlight.dbpedia.org/>)
* Wiktionary2RDF (http://dbpedia.org/Wiktionary)

===== Program =====
Most of the session are already quite clear (see above), just the
detailed time plan is still missing

===== Contact =====
For any inquiries regarding the workshop, you can reach the //whole//
MLODE committee at //mlode2012 [at] lists.informatik.uni-leipzig.de//.

If you are interested in sponsoring the event, please contact the
workshop organizers (Sebastian Hellmann and Steven Moran) through
//mlode2012-sponsor [at] lists.informatik.uni-leipzig.de// .

Some financial aid may be available (travel cost or conference fee),
please contact Steven Moran //mlode2012-sponsor [at]
lists.informatik.uni-leipzig.de// .

==== MLODE Committee ====
Chairs:
* Sebastian Hellmann, University of Leipzig
* Steven Moran, University of Munich

Student Chairs:
* Martin Brümmer, University of Leipzig
* Dimitris Kontokostas, University of Leipzig

Community Committee:
* Richard Littauer, Saarland University
* Dominic Jones, Trinity College
* John McCrae, Bielefeld University
* Jose Emilio Labra Gayo, University of Oviedo
* John Peirera, Apache Stanbol
* Dimitris Kontokostas, University of Leipzig

==== Venue ====
MLODE is part of the SABRE Multiconference, which is located at the
Faculty of Economics and Management Scienc in the center of Leipzig:
http://www.wifa.uni-leipzig.de/en/kontakt.html#c16824
**MLODE is part of the SABRE Multiconference, which is located at the
Faculty of Economics and Management Scienc in the center of Leipzig:
http://www.wifa.uni-leipzig.de/en/kontakt.html#c16824*
*

*

--  Dipl. Inf. Sebastian Hellmann Department of Computer Science, University of Leipzig  Events:  * http://sabre2012.infai.org/mlode (Leipzig, Sept. 23-24-25, 2012) * http://wole2012.eurecom.fr (*Deadline: July 31st 2012*) Projects: http://nlp2rdf.org , http://dbpedia.org Homepage: http://bis.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/SebastianHellmann Research Group: http://aksw.org