[annotator-dev] Fwd: Commenting on annotations

Nick Stenning nick at whiteink.com
Tue Mar 13 23:13:57 UTC 2012

Hi Ewald,

Comments inline below...

On 12 Mar 2012, at 12:26, Ewald Zietsman <ewald at siyavula.com> wrote:

Hi All,

There was some discussion on GitHub about making comments on existing
annotations. One idea was to make an annotation viewable and then enable
the annotator on that html view, allowing more annotations to be made:
https://github.com/okfn/annotator-store/issues/32
Another idea was to add a parent field to each annotation and, I guess,
allow one to give input that is linked an annotation. Almost like a
linked-list kindof model.

Yes, exactly, although I should clarify that these probably aren't mutually
exclusive ideas. In particular, I think the "parent" field should be added
automatically by the Annotator instance on the canonical annotation URL
(e.g. http://annotateit.org/a/c3UhBVm5TbqiwIqBfsZeVA -- although note that
there's currently no Annotator initialized on that page)

Has anyone done anything about this? We are thinking of adding this
functionality but don't want to go through the motions if it will duplicate
someone else's work.

Adding a specially-configured Annotator to these "canonical" pages
shouldn't be hard. What might be a bit harder is deciding how to fetch
these "child" annotations. My feeling is probably as part of an additional
request that's triggered when an annotation is shown...

Our idea is as follows: Another database object is created, lets call it
'comment'.

My feeling is that the idea of annotations on annotations is not only more
conceptually elegant, but also simpler in the long run. Issues of UI and
API are important, but it seems to me that there's no reason that this
model can't work with almost any UI we choose to implement.

Best,
Nick

--
*
Ewald Zietsman

Technical Coor**dinator*
*
*
*
*
Website: www.siyavula.com
The Open Innovation Studio, 27 Buitenkant Street, Cape Town, 8001