[annotator-dev] working on fm

Randall Leeds tilgovi at hypothes.is
Sat Mar 17 04:04:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 2:09 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> On 16 March 2012 02:02, Adam Hyde <adam.hyde at sourcefabric.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Thanks Rufus that is very interesting. How would it effect things if the
>> read and write environment was the same? Is is possible to change the xpath
>> identifier dynamically as the text gets altered?
>
> That's exactly what you'd need to do and I was suggesting would be needed :-)
>
> The other point I was making was is that if you control the text (not
> the case in many of annotators use cases e.g. bookmarklet or
> OpenShakespeare) you can start inserting lots of special tags and
> possibly utilizing those as your addressing points (though you would
> probably need to change annotator a bit ...)
>
> I have a feeling there is a reasonble 80/20 solution out there.

Having just got back from an Open Annotation WG meeting (Open
Annotation Collaboration + Annotation Ontology), I'll chime in with
what that data model is starting to look like and how it impacts this
problem.

The data model has two notions of target.
1) Simple targets are just URIs. These are refered to as a "Target".
2) More complex selections of document segments are referred to as
"Specific Targets".

Specific targets have a source document URI and 0 or more selectors.
Taking annotator in this direction would mean nesting the ranges as
properties of the target, also in recognition that of the idea that
annotations may refer to multiple targets simultaneously (specific or
non-specific).

In that working group's model, the range, as annotator calls it, is
actually a particular class of selector, and there may be many.
I find this idea extremely compelling as a way to address the problem
of changing text.
In our conversation these past two days, we decided to make no attempt
to recommend a priority or otherwise specify the relationship between
multiple selectors.

in other words, we could store information that uniquely identifies
the paragraph, such as an id attribute, when applicable. We could also
store the current range XPath/Offset stuff. We could also store a
textual context (prefix + suffix text), or anything else we can come
up with. I'm fairly convinced that if we designate the selection in
multiple formats it means we can say with some confidence that we have
successfully re-anchored the annotation when text has changed if some
subset of the selectors still finds a match. So while the id attribute
may not match, or the XPath may have changed, there may still be a
textual match.

I hope that doesn't sound like an explosion of complexity. It can be
kept quite simple. For example, the current annotator JSON is 1-1
compatible just by moving the ranges down into the target (or not,
after all, there's nothing about JSON that suggests a particular
mapping to concepts in a formal vocabulary... ultimately we do what we
want). I'm just offering possibilities for inspiration.

-Randall