[annotator-dev] Our open letter to Marc Andreessen and Rap Genius

Dan Whaley dwhaley at hypothes.is
Thu Oct 4 19:48:50 UTC 2012

Andrew,

I had a brief interaction with Ilan Zechory earlier this year.

They clearly have their own direction, which is fine.  And I did forward the blog post to him.  He responded immediately, and appreciatively, and invited a dialog-- though more of the "next time you're in NY" kind.  I reciprocated.

My impression here is this:  If they try the closed approach, they'll fail.  Plain and simple.  $15M will just make that failure all the more spectacular.  On one hand, it may be unhealthy for the field, on the other perhaps things are mature enough now that a closed approach will just create a powerful contrast and heightened visibility that will actually be helpful.

Look forward to seeing you out here!