[annotator-dev] Notes on Annotations from seminar

Randall Leeds tilgovi at hypothes.is
Wed Mar 20 05:21:48 UTC 2013

Sorry for top posting (also, I'm cross-posting to annotator-dev), but
you all wrote small novels here.

I'd just add that Hypothes.is is still very much built on top of Annotator.

In the past week I have broken out two plugins: *

- Threading [0]
  This implements discussion threading on annotations and has only one
outstanding code dependency in the h application that I think I can
eliminate by a non-invasive change to Annotator. It requires jwz.js
[1] for the `mail.messageThread()` function. The rest is implemented
through vanilla Annotator events, though currently the Annotator
viewer doesn't know anything about the threads, it could be made to.

- Cross-domain bridge [2]
  This lets us implement our UI in an iframe with minimal changes to
the main application. It provides an easy way to share annotations
between widgets. It depends on jschannel [3]. I'd like to expand it in
any way that's helpful. Eventually, this could lead to mashups of
annotation tools. There's lightweight extensibility provided through
the configuration for fine-grained sharing and merging of annotation
properties across browser security domains and windows.

I also just took 15 minutes and proved to myself that I could
re-enable the Annotator bubbles with our sidebar on the page as well.
It was easy. At this point, most of our code is not overriding
Annotator in complex ways anymore, but augmenting it in surgical ways,
or overriding methods to simply disable features straight away (such
as the editor and viewer widgets). I'll open some issues for making
this configurable and for documenting our embed code. We can start to
flesh out the integrations.

I'll see what I can do to break our sidebar widget out into a separate
plugin as well, so that the embed code can be a normal Annotator embed
with a custom plugin config and some additional CSS.

In other words: ** Don't worry so much about designing one right
thing. Let's design (and implement) many things. **

You should not view these interfaces, Hypothes.is and vanilla
Annotator, as mutually exclusive!

That said, all the feedback is *greatly* appreciated.

So: Yo, dawg. I heard you like annotations, so why don't we get some
accounts turned on and we can start annotating some PDFs about
annotation interfaces?

-R

* This stuff still needs to bake a little bit and solidify and we'll
try to get it all working with upstream Annotator. Everything needs
tests. Patches welcome. Offer extends forever.
[0] https://github.com/hypothesis/h/blob/develop/h/js/plugin/threading.coffee
[1] https://github.com/maxogden/conversationThreading-js
[2] https://github.com/hypothesis/h/blob/develop/h/js/plugin/bridge.coffee
[3] https://github.com/mozilla/jschannel