[annotator-dev] One Annotator, Several Mailing Lists? [Was: Re: Lost in the "current" Annotator 1.2.9 - looking a "state-of-the-art" plugin]

Nick Stenning nick.stenning at okfn.org
Tue Jul 1 09:11:03 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014, at 00:10, Randall Leeds wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:50 AM, Ernesto Torresin (ML) <
> ewk-ml at connettivo.net> wrote:
> >
> > But is it easy to get more ML at lists at okfn.org, or are we talking about
> > nothing? Only an institution backing the Annotator or a fork of it could
> > host the lists reliably over the years, I think.
> >

> Nick, do you want to weigh in on this last question?

Happy to.

My inclination at the moment would be to resist the temptation to split
annotator-discuss (or annotator-users) off from annotator-dev. If others
disagree with me then I'm very happy to have my opinion swayed, but
there's a "critical mass" effect with mailing lists, and I'm not
convinced there is a critical mass of people who would participate in an
annotator-users mailing list.

On the other hand, I think there may well be people who would be happy
to subscribe to a low volume annotator-announce list who are not
currently subscribed to annotator-dev due to volume.

So, unless I hear loud noises to the contrary, I'll go ahead and create
an annotator-announce list in the next few days, but will hold off on
any decision to split annotator-dev in half.

As for long-term hosting and archival -- I don't think we need to worry
about list hosting causing issues in the immediate future with the list
at lists.okfn.org. Perhaps we should move elsewhere at some point, but
I'm reluctant for "elsewhere" to mean Google Groups. From an archival
perspective I think we're covered more than most thanks to Randall
setting up Gmane ingestion.

-N