[annotator-dev] One Annotator, Several Mailing Lists? [Was: Re: Lost in the "current" Annotator 1.2.9 - looking a "state-of-the-art" plugin]

Ernesto Torresin (ML) ewk-ml at connettivo.net
Tue Jul 1 14:01:18 UTC 2014

On 01/07/2014 11:11, Nick Stenning wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014, at 00:10, Randall Leeds wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:50 AM, Ernesto Torresin (ML) <
>> ewk-ml at connettivo.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> But is it easy to get more ML at lists at okfn.org, or are we talking about
>>> nothing? Only an institution backing the Annotator or a fork of it could
>>> host the lists reliably over the years, I think.
>>>

>> Nick, do you want to weigh in on this last question?
>
> Happy to.

> My inclination at the moment would be to resist the temptation to split
> annotator-discuss (or annotator-users) off from annotator-dev. If others
> disagree with me then I'm very happy to have my opinion swayed, but
> there's a "critical mass" effect with mailing lists, and I'm not
> convinced there is a critical mass of people who would participate in an
> annotator-users mailing list.

Sorry, I am not getting the point here. What is such mass "critical"
for? adoption or development?

In the past, I got the impression that the real problem with the
Annotator is just that it is not as popular as it deserves. So I thought
that having a list for non-pundits may encourage adoption, and also be a
place were the "core" Annotator is presented in a practical way,
"bundled" with plugins as necessary.

?-)

E.T.