[annotator-dev] Switch to JavaScript?

Robert Casties casties at mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de
Wed Jun 18 08:57:55 UTC 2014

On 18.06.14 09:20, Kristof Csillag wrote:
> What do you mean by "switching"?
>
> 1. Deciding to accept new incoming JS code, alongside new incoming
> Coffee code?
> 2. Deciding that all new incoming code must be JS?
> 3. Removing all the Coffee, and replacing it all with JS? (Either by
> automatic compilation, or manually?)
>
> Anyway, I am not sure if it is much of a barrier.
>
> When I entered the project, making sense of the internals were
> *significantly* more difficult to me than making sense of Coffee, which
> was new to me at that time.

Same with me. Learning to use Coffee was a rather small hurdle (and it
makes writing good code easier) compared to setting up the build process
and understanding the moving parts of the code.

I think the build process does not become much simpler without coffee
and you would have to invent your own Javascript patterns for things
Coffee does if you wanted to convert everything to plain JS.

But I don't write much code in Annotator-core so everything you prefer
would be fine with me.

Best
	Robert

> On 2014-06-18 05:37, Randall Leeds wrote:
>>
>> Anyone opposed?
>>
>> Might lower the tooling and learning barrier.
>>
>> I've been a defender of it and invested some time in the tooling but
>> I'd be okay moving away from it.
>>
>> No thought of timing here, re 2.0 or anything. Just taking the
>> temperature.

Dr. Robert Casties -- Information Technology Group
Max Planck Institute for the History of Science
Boltzmannstr. 22, D-14195 Berlin
Tel: +49/30/22667-342 Fax: -299