[annotator-dev] Automated Browser Testing

Randall Leeds tilgovi at hypothes.is
Fri Jun 20 22:30:07 UTC 2014

On Jun 20, 2014 6:08 PM, "Bill Hunt" <bill at krues8dr.com> wrote:

> Thanks Randall - I was checking in on IRC to take the temperature before
bringing it to the list for the larger discussion, but let's jump in!

> So, the short version is, we started down the rabbit hole of mocha-sauce,
but found that it doesn't actually report back failures properly, and the
issue is deep in the webdriver dependency and probably too much work to
resolve.  The next most popular option for Saucelabs integration is
grunt-saucelabs which works perfectly, but requires grunt.  It's pretty
coupled to grunt tasks too, so it'd require a bit of rewrite to get it to
work without grunt.

> Stepping back, Saucelabs was the second choice after Browserling did not
behave as expected or provide any of the reporting tools that make
Saucelabs great.  We could totally look into yet another option, but SL
does most of what we need, and is free for opensource.  Choosing another
option would also put us back to the start.

I would at least want to check out browserstack, which is distinct from
browserling/testling.

It's also free for OSS AFAIK.

> The runner issue is a separate one, since we are encountering the same
hurdles with both of the previous services, namely that it requires running
the service locally and SSH tunneling to your local machine to run the
tests - requiring either a test server or no automation.  So that part will
probably need to be redone regardless.

TravisCI is a solution for this.

We run hypothesis tests through Travis with a sauce tunnel.