[annotator-dev] Automated Browser Testing

Nick Stenning nick at whiteink.com
Tue Jun 24 08:41:40 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014, at 00:08, Bill Hunt wrote:

> Grunt, of course, really does not offer anything over makefiles, except
> for the obvious benefit of "domestic" support - most everyone in the JS
> community does use it since it's been around so long (and won out on the
> yeoman war), except for the few at have transitioned to Gulp.   This
> means that there are lots of packages already to do the things we're
> trying to do in the testing space in particular, where there is no gulp
> alternative yet. Speaking for OpenGov, we certainly don't have the time
> to write all of that from scratch, but it would be a useful thing for the
> larger JS community.

I'm completely agnostic on browser test runner -- if Sauce works, let's
use that, if Browserling works, let's use that, etc.

But as for having to rewrite the build to use Grunt to get this working,
no thank you. I'm perfectly happy to see the build process change, but
Grunt is a bad reimplementation of half of GNU Make, so I'd rather stick
with the original.

If I had to express a preference on strategy I'd be inclined to dig into
the issues with Browserling and get in touch with James Halliday to get
any problems fixed. He's 'substack' in the relevant IRC channels and on
Twitter.

-N