[annotator-dev] Lost in the "current" Annotator 1.2.9 - looking a "state-of-the-art" plugin

Nick Stenning nick at whiteink.com
Tue Jun 24 09:00:14 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014, at 10:46, Ernesto Torresin (ML) wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm trying to focus back on the Annotator but after some days, I think
> that I'm in trouble. I have the strong impression that the doc is not
> really in sync with the code; I've been reading the code of many
> plugins, but I could not say which one can be taken as an example. I'm
> stumbling on deprecated stuff at every few lines, and I cannot
> understand how could it be so straightforward in the past, and so
> twisted-up now.

Hi Ernesto,

First of all, I'm sorry you've had such a rough experience with the
code. That's obviously not our intention and we are well aware that
there are complexities which need ironing out.

That said, it sounds very much like you're looking at the current
'master' branch, which is NOT v1.2.9 (which lives on the 'v1.2.x'
branch) but instead the current development bleeding edge. We are in the
middle of a fairly substantial rewrite of the Annotator internals on the
way to 2.0, and this should explain the confusion and problems you're
having.

Current 'master' is not recommended for people trying to do serious
work.

Best,
-N

P.S. I'm well aware that this is not a good state of affairs, as are my
co-maintainers. We're all juggling Annotator work with other commitments
(the ones that pay the rent!) and know that progress isn't being made as
fast as we'd like. Stay tuned on this front: things should speed up
within a few months.