[annotator-dev] Next steps toward 2.0

Randall Leeds tilgovi at hypothes.is
Tue May 13 23:54:03 UTC 2014

I took a stab at part of #379, the "widget unification" issue I created
after the community call.
Issue: https://github.com/openannotation/annotator/issues/379
Proposal: https://github.com/openannotation/annotator/pull/381

It's my belief that we should attempt to make re-usable components, whether
user interface or data services, by instantiating directly objects with
well defined interfaces.

"Plugins" can still be provided, via the old interface, which should act to
establish default bindings of these presentation and data service modules
as an example.

To this end, I first propose to make the Adder a Widget as well. I've
already got code for this but need to cleanup/rebase. It's currently bound
up in some of the above ideas as well as a (working) sketch of pulling more
Backbone idioms for Delegator.
Branch: https://github.com/tilgovi/annotator/tree/selector-core

Then, the Adder, Viewer, and Editor can all stop being plugins if we remove
explicit reference to the Annotator instance.

Here's an example of the beginnings of instantiating the bits directly,
which could serve as a new "example" application:
https://gist.github.com/tilgovi/525bfbbb72dc0e817b4b

We could invoke this module directly to configure the default application
when we detect a legacy invocation of "new Annotation()".