[annotator-dev] Image annotation

Simon Rainer Rainer.Simon at ait.ac.at
Sat Oct 11 07:01:19 UTC 2014

Hi all,

@Gergely: this sounds great!

Concerning OA support in Annotorious: that would simply be a matter of cross-walking formats if I understand correctly? So it would be comparatively trivial. (At least unless you insist on SVG selectors, which would require some heavier crosswalking. Annotorious is canvas-based.)

Doing the implemention that integrates Annotorious seamlessly with the new Annototator is where the challenge lies. But it seems that Gergely already has made great strides towards this - so maybe this is also well on the way. (I promise to follow up on your code ASAP! :-)

And, yes, there is rudimentary OpenSeadragon support in Annotorious, which seems to be in use already, too, since I've recently merged a couple of pull requests with minor fixes and completions for stuff that was still missing.

@Jamie: you asked whether OpenSeadragon and images are similar in terms of what needs to be done. I'm open to better approaches, but as far as my experience goes, they are VERY different beasts. The way it's handled in Annotorious is that everything (images, OpenSeadragon, OpenLayers) sits behind a <canvas> element that handles the drawing, i.e. the *creation* of annotation.