[annotator-dev] Image annotation

Simon Rainer Rainer.Simon at ait.ac.at
Sun Oct 12 18:25:21 UTC 2014

Sorry - that last one should have said "Hi Nick" (in addition to Hi Randall) of course... argh. All those hasty E-Mails ;-)

---

Hi Randall,

sounds good - and it seems pretty much similar to how Annotorious works internally, too. Creating a new annotation is separated from display of existing ones. The former is handled in something called a "selector" - so that could be turned into the ImageSelector you are talking about. The latter is handled in a component called "viewer" in Annotorious terminology; that would be the highlighter. The viewer/highlighter has Create/Update/Delete methods, just like you describe below. The selector emits "onCreated", "onUpdated"-like events that can be subscribed to.

The only tighter coupling between the two is that the selector also includes the code for rendering a single shape to the Canvas context. The reason for this is that I wanted to keep the selectors pluggable themselves. So new selectors would allow people to draw new types of shapes that the Annotorious core wouldn't need to know about; and the selector plugin would just ship the drawing code for both the selecting and the highlighting. (Although to be fair, there is currently only one official selector - which is the Rectangle selector. A polygon and a freehand selector exist only as "experimental".)

Cheers,
Rainer