[annotator-dev] Image annotation

Greg Pendlebury greg.pendlebury at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 21:14:39 UTC 2014

"Also, we extended the system to (logically) separate anchors (as the
abstract information about where an annotation goes) from the highlight (as
the actual "physical" manifestation of an anchor, visible to the user)."

I'm not certain, but does this address the issue of Annotorious annotating
the 'src' attribute of the image as though it was a persistent ID?

I could be being unfair in my assessment (apologies if so) because I only
looked at Annotorious briefly during our original assessment of Annotator.
It had two (maybe three) main problems which prevented uptake here:

 1) The annotations are stored against the URI from which the image was
loaded in the browser, so a digital object with its own PID, served from
two different delivery layers did not line up. Should have been simple to
fix by making the attribute it draws the URI from configurable rather than
assuming 'src'... maybe it already is and I missed it?
 2) Numerous display glitches when the image is scrolled off screen at page
load or in a non-visible screen region (eg. jQuery UI tab).
 3) This one is unrealistic maybe... but we where trying to find a plugin
that could handle non-images... such as a div with scrolling image tiles
inside that _look_ like an image to the user, but can't be targeted as an
image in the DOM.

Having said that, it was still the closest we found to a functional
solution. Staff here really liked the look and feel of the plugin generally
and it was filed in our project doco as something we assumed we would used
as a starting point when image annotations became required.

Ta,
Greg