[annotator-dev] [annotator] Anchor annotations to the closest ancestor ID? (#394)

Randall Leeds randall at bleeds.info
Mon Sep 22 19:36:14 UTC 2014

I've removed the GitHub rely links from the CC, because apparently those
are pegged to the person who got the notification and every reply looks
like it comes from me.

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Ben Leinfelder <leinfelder at nceas.ucsb.edu>
wrote:

> Email is fantastic as an alert mechanism.* As an archive, it only works if
> I was subscribed when the discussion began or if there is a reliable, easy
> to use, and easy to point to repository for prior questions and discussions.
>
> Benjamin was able to point us to two relevant conversations in a project I
> certainly was not part of, or even aware of…because they were recorded in
> GitHub. I can explore the entire thread, learn the context of the
> discussion and maybe even the resolution if I choose to watch the topic.
> That seems really useful to me.
>
> Maybe the gmane.org route will work for you. Mentioning that archive
> somewhere obvious would be useful so that new people like me can do their
> own legwork before bogging down the list with redundant "how do I…?" or
> "what do you think about…?" questions. But I think I'd feel awkward joining
> in the conversation if I had to open an entirely new email with, "hey guys,
> I saw you were talking about this back in May, thought I'd chime in with my
> thoughts now…"

Thread revivals are most welcome when there are new thoughts. Starting an
email with a mention of the old thread is a great way to ensure that
everyone knows you put the time in to read about the issue, and shouldn't
be met with anything but acceptance.

I took your advice about including a link to the archives. We should do
something similar on annotatorjs.org.
https://github.com/openannotation/annotator/pull/440
https://github.com/openannotation/annotatorjs.org/issues/10