[annotator-dev] [annotator] Anchor annotations to the closest ancestor ID? (#394)

Ben Leinfelder leinfelder at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Sep 22 18:36:11 UTC 2014

Email is fantastic as an alert mechanism.* As an archive, it only works if I was subscribed when the discussion began or if there is a reliable, easy to use, and easy to point to repository for prior questions and discussions.

Benjamin was able to point us to two relevant conversations in a project I certainly was not part of, or even aware of…because they were recorded in GitHub. I can explore the entire thread, learn the context of the discussion and maybe even the resolution if I choose to watch the topic. That seems really useful to me.

Maybe the gmane.org route will work for you. Mentioning that archive somewhere obvious would be useful so that new people like me can do their own legwork before bogging down the list with redundant "how do I…?" or "what do you think about…?" questions. But I think I'd feel awkward joining in the conversation if I had to open an entirely new email with, "hey guys, I saw you were talking about this back in May, thought I'd chime in with my thoughts now…"

Thanks,
-ben

*and cat gifs