[annotator-dev] NodeJS impl of Annotator Store backend

Randall Leeds tilgovi at hypothes.is
Tue Sep 23 17:48:34 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Willy Bruns <willy at entropi.info> wrote:

> Nice,
> Thanks for the link!
>
> Love that Jamie's is configured for easy Heroku deployment.
>
> I'll play with that this evening.
>
> A couple of differences that will be fun to discuss are his use of MongoDB
> instead of Elasticsearch (I wonder how many clients use the elasticsearch
> raw APIs exposed by the reference backend), and what authentication he has
> or is planning.

I don't know, either. Annotator doesn't use the raw search API. We're using
it on our backend for Hypothes.is a little bit, but not from the client.

I've been thinking about deprecating it here because I don't like exposing
the raw Elasticsearch API, since it's probably possible to construct very
expensive queries that I'd rather not have to sanitize.