[annotator-dev] UX/UI improvements

Marc-Antoine Lemieux marc at marcantoinelemieux.com
Thu Sep 25 21:09:14 UTC 2014

For the selection, I was thinking something like the Hightligther than
would hold the selection until the Editor is disposed (either because an
annotation was created or the action was cancelled.). I tried quickly to
use directly the Highlighter plugin and it seemed to "work" but I would
need only the display part of it and remove all event handler bound to it.
If I have more time I'll probably work on this a bit. I agree with you that
trying to hold the browser selection might be impossible if we only use the
browser selection.

For the adder behavior, I'll try to open a PR tomorrow or next week to
discuss that. I have a couple of idea but they don't really work if
multiples bubble or items can be shown at the same time. I wanted to have
the Adder, Editor and Viewer always on top and centered but it caused
problems since can all appear at the same time on the version I am using.
And yes, there's some polishing to do here to make sure it displays
properly depending on the window. I had also problems where the body had a
fixed width that was smaller than the window (like any support.apple.com
pages) which caused a wrong placement.

As for the last point, I agree that plugins should not know each other, but
I feel there's something missing to coordinate the global behavior of the
library. I wondered why I didn't see his PR... it's 4 hours old :). I'll
definitely check it out.

I'm still wondering if using master was the right choice at the beginning,
but since I knew we would mosty certainly want to customize the behavior
(which we did), the new version seemed to be better than v1 (better code
organization and so on).

Marc-Antoine Lemieux