[annotator-dev] Using store plugin: Authentication problem

Panagiotis Papadakos papadako at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 12:53:53 UTC 2015

Hello everyone

I am new to annotator.js, so probably this is a pretty naive question.

I want to use annotate.it as a backend for my annotations. I have created
an account for it and dynamically create tokens using the jjwt library with
the following code, where CONSUMER_KEY is the annotateit key for my
account, CONSUMER_SECRET is the corr. secret and  CONSUMER_TTL
is set to 86400 (one day).

String getToken() {
    // Use time for expiration
    TimeZone tz = TimeZone.getTimeZone("UTC");
    DateFormat df = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm'Z'");
    df.setTimeZone(tz);
    String nowAsISO = df.format(new Date());

    Claims claims = Jwts.claims().setId(UUID.randomUUID().toString()) //
uuid
        .setIssuer("http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl/LifeWatchAnnotation")
        .setAudience("http://www.annotateit.org");

        claims.put("consumerKey", CONSUMER_KEY);// consumer key
        claims.put("userId", "myid");       // account Id for annotateit
        claims.put("issuedAt", nowAsISO);       // time as ISO8601
        claims.put("ttl", CONSUMER_TTL);        // expire in seconds (one
day)

    // Now create the token
    String token = Jwts.builder()
        .setClaims(claims) // Add the necessary claims for annotateit
        .signWith(SignatureAlgorithm.HS256,
        CONSUMER_SECRET).compact();

    return token;
}

So up to here I think my token is valid as I have checked in http://jwt.io/

But unfortunately, when I add the store plugin in my js code, that uses the
aforementioned token through the Auth plugin, I get the following error

API request failed: '0' in annotator-full.min.js (line 17)

Do you have any idea about what might be wrong?

Thank you and best regards

Panagiotis