[annotator-dev] Who's using Annotator 2.0?

Will Thompson will at willthompson.co.uk
Mon Jul 27 11:08:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 24/07/15 20:35, Benjamin Young wrote:
> So, are you using Annotator 2.0?

I use Annotator 2.0 in a little tool for tagging transcripts of
conversations, then displaying cross-sections of the conversation by
tag. The backend is loosely derived from annotator-store. Unfortunately
I can't publish either part right now.

> Are you working directly with master?

Yes, plus a few local patches I haven't had time to upstream properly.

> Is it working for you?

Yes (modulo a few regressions from 1.x which are now fixed, and a few
performance problems in pathological cases which I've been fixing). I
found the API restructuring in 2.0 made it easier to work with and
extend. My usage is relatively simple, though.

> Are there plugins you're depending on that aren't working?

Not any more.

> What do you feel it's missing?

I get the feeling that people re-implement functionality around tagging
(eg the semi-regular questions about storing and auto-completing tags on
this list) but it's not clear how much more Annotator itself can offer
without forcing particular UI and backend choices.

(This question has reminded me to file issue #549, thanks!)

> Are you interested or able to contribute to the core of Annotator?

Yes and yes, although so far only small, non-invasive changes. This is a
very welcoming and responsive community, thanks!