[annotator-dev] Who's using Annotator 2.0?

Benjamin Young bigbluehat at hypothes.is
Mon Jul 27 18:40:17 UTC 2015

Hey Will!

Thanks so much for the response.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 7:08 AM, Will Thompson <will at willthompson.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 24/07/15 20:35, Benjamin Young wrote:
> > So, are you using Annotator 2.0?
>
> I use Annotator 2.0 in a little tool for tagging transcripts of
> conversations, then displaying cross-sections of the conversation by
> tag. The backend is loosely derived from annotator-store. Unfortunately
> I can't publish either part right now.

Sounds cool. :) Can you share a bit about what storage and/or auth system
you're using?

Completely fine if not. Mostly trying to get a sense of what's out there
and how Annotator (et al) is being used, with what tech, etc.

> > Are you working directly with master?
>
> Yes, plus a few local patches I haven't had time to upstream properly.

Looking forward to seeing these. ;)

> > Is it working for you?
>
> Yes (modulo a few regressions from 1.x which are now fixed, and a few
> performance problems in pathological cases which I've been fixing). I
> found the API restructuring in 2.0 made it easier to work with and
> extend. My usage is relatively simple, though.

Glad it's working for you regardless! I'm also glad to hear that "2.0 made
it easier." I found the same, so the +1's that it's heading the right
direction are confirming.

> > Are there plugins you're depending on that aren't working?
>
> Not any more.

Because you've replaced them with custom code? or aren't using the plugins
any longer? or...something else?

> > What do you feel it's missing?
>
> I get the feeling that people re-implement functionality around tagging
> (eg the semi-regular questions about storing and auto-completing tags on
> this list) but it's not clear how much more Annotator itself can offer
> without forcing particular UI and backend choices.

Yeah...finding that useful, minimal middle ground was a core take away from
Friday's call.

Any input on that front (as a separate thread probably) would be helpful on
that front, for certain. Like...what's "between" the frontend UI and the
backend storage API that Annotator is providing that you (as a developer)
can't (or don't want to have to) build yourself? I'll surface this as a
separate thread...actually.

> (This question has reminded me to file issue #549, thanks!)

Woot! Thanks for this. :)

It's helpful to have stuff like this being found and posted, so we can have
an understanding of what developers really need/want/etc.

> > Are you interested or able to contribute to the core of Annotator?
>
> Yes and yes, although so far only small, non-invasive changes. This is a
> very welcoming and responsive community, thanks!

We're glad you're here, Will! :D

If you're interested in becoming a core contributor to Annotator, the door
is open. Start sending (more? ;) ) pull requests as you can, and I'm
certain you'll get "upgraded" in due course. :)

What Annotator really needs right now are interested developers to keep
developing it. :) There's a solid community of users and casual committers.
The next step (for all of us) is to dive into making Annotator the code as
awesome as the community has been for some time. :) (preaching to the
choir...I realize... ;) ).

Thanks for all you're doing and have done, Will!
Benjamin