[annotator-dev] changing the position of annotator viewer/editor

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 23:14:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 12:23 PM, Benjamin Young <bigbluehat at hypothes.is>
wrote:

> Hey Shauna,
>
> First, thanks for being here. :)

You're very welcome!  It's nice here.

> CoffeScript is a language solely meant for transpiling to JavaScript,
> so you can use the `coffee` command line tool to turn it that .coffee
> file into a .js file:
> http://coffeescript.org/
>
> The resulting JS might not be ideal, but it would be JavaScript which
> you could alter to your needs.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've managed to put something together without
using the MarginViewer code, but I'm sure I'll need to use something in
CoffeeScript eventually.

> > - If this is in the latest release, is there a way to access/adapt this
> via
> > plugin, or is it finally time to learn how your development process
> works?
> > ;)
>
> The 1.2.x release does have some documentation on writing plugins:
> http://annotator.readthedocs.org/en/v1.2.x/hacking/plugin-development.html
>
> Depending on the timeframe you're hoping to ship this in you *could*
> get involved with 2.0 development (see the master branch). I'm sure
> the help would be welcome. :)

I'm actually not certain about my timeframe.  I do have a mini-deadline of
this Friday, so I've opted for a fairly hacky approach - I unminified the
released annotator files and have been editing them directly.  I'd like to
make changes in a more sustainable way, as well as help improve the
documentation, which I think could use a bit more detail and examples, when
I get the chance.

Is anyone interested in doing a short "sprint" - maybe a few hours on a
weekend or evening?  If someone will pair with me on going through the
contribution process I am happy to document it more thoroughly.  Pairing
could be remote via something like google hangout, or in person if anyone's
in Boston.  (I've also seen a few friends of mine from Boston when
searching the list archives, and I bet I can get them to come.)

> > Once I figure out where to make my changes, I think this should be fairly
> > straightforward - I want to keep Y as it is, and X can be calculated by
> the
> > offset of the marginal column from the document.
>
> Hopefully something in here will help you make the changes you need. :)

Thanks to this response, I was able to figure out a good workflow and have
made this particular change.  I'm sure it won't be long before I post with
another question!  :)